Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 - what a year!

2010 has been one of the craziest & most amazing years of my life so far. Thought I would take a minute on New Years Eve to reflect and look back at all the great memories & photos.

The most memorable & life changing event happened on March 5th when I married the love of my life, after 3 years together (2 of which were long distance). It was a perfect day – even the weather cooperated! Here is my favourite photo of us from the day (also the photo that my parents & grandparents have in their houses).

Once the excitement being married wore off, it was time to face reality again. Chris flew back to Germany 3 days after the wedding & I had to go back to college to finish my classes. I made some great friends in ATL & I miss them all very much, especially Nitty & Felicia <3

Now it was time for another life changing event – moving out! I flew out of ATL airport on April 5th on a night flight bound for Frankfurt. Saying goodbye to my parents was very very hard. After a smooth flight, I touched down in a very sunny Germany! I don’t think I have ever been so happy to see Chris! We came back to the apartment (the view still amazes me to this day) and met Toby!! He was cautious around me for a few weeks before he started to get used to me being around.

We have had lots of adventures this last 9 months in Germany. We have spent time in Bengel (a tiny town where Chris’s grandparents live), which is surrounded by beautiful scenery & the very picturesque River Moselle.

We live in Heddesheim, a small town in between Mannheim & Heidelberg – both cities have lots to see and do. Mannheim has a large water tower that is the symbol of the city. Heidelberg is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Germany due to the castle & the old town.

Me at Mannheim Water Tower
Heidelberg Castle from the Strasse

For my birthday, we drove down deep into the Black Forest to the town of Triburg to see the waterfall. It is the tallest waterfall in Germany – it is a hell of a climb, but worth it once you get to the top.

A couple of days after my birthday, I was talking to one of my friends Katie who lives at another base – Baumholder. There was a free show going on that night with Five Finger Death Punch (one of my favourite bands). We went to see them & OMG it was one of the best nights of my life!!!! Not only were we in the front row, but we got to meet them afterwards. I told them that it was my birthday & they all signed my shirt with happy birthday, as well as having a pic taken with the lead singer.

Chris was away for much of July & August so didn’t really get to see/do much in that time. We got some great news at the end of August though – we are moving back to England in May!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!At the end of October, we finally got to go our honeymoon! We went to Edelweiss, a military resort down on the German-Austrian border, with a great view of the Alps. We were only there for a weekend, but we tried to cram as much stuff in as possible. Neuschwanstein Castle is a place I have wanted to see for a very long time, so it was exciting to finally see it.

After having issues with our truck (resulting in us not being able to go to Berlin), we decided to buy a brand new car. We wanted a family car that would last us for a long time & we ended up with Christina, the Toyota Corolla!

December turned out to be an awesome month as well. We started getting snow every few days & then my bestest friend ever Ann flew over for a few days- hadn’t seen her in over 2 years. I don’t think I have laughed so hard in so long, those few days went too quickly & I missed her as soon as she left.

And so to our first Christmas as a married couple. For the first time in my life, we had a white Christmas – and it wasn’t just a dusting of snow, we were snowed in. On certain parts of our balcony, we had 20 inches of snow. We had a lot of fun (Toby too) playing in the snow. My first Turkey dinner went off without a hitch & we got some cool presents.

After such a fun filled & life changing year, I am excited to see what 2011 will bring us……..





No comments:

Post a Comment